IT WAS REPORTED that Celtic had an offer rejected for the French Second Division striker Alexandre Mendy. However, his agents have now confirmed that this didn’t happen.

Celtic was said to be looking to add depth to their forward positions, despite having Kyogo, Giakoumakis, Ajeti and Maeda all at the club. Liel Abada has played the striker’s role for his club and country. Celtic also have a few promising talents in the forward area of the field.

Soccer Football – Scottish Premiership – Celtic v Rangers – Celtic Park, Glasgow, Scotland, Britain – May 1, 2022
Celtic fans with a cardboard cutout of Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou inside the stadium before the match Action Images via Reuters/Carl Recine

Mendy’s agents have denied the rumours that Celtic have lodged a bid, saying they are unaware of Celtic’s interest as no contact has been made. His agency said;

“We don’t know where it comes from… If a club wants a player, we still start by asking the player if he wants to come, right? I haven’t been contacted by anyone, so I think it’s obviously not true,” Egal told Le10 Sport.

It’s a refreshingly honest answer by an agency. Most of the time agents usually try to give these stories legs when transfer windows are around the corner.

Giving their clients a leg up in negotiations with his current club and getting his name out there. L’Equipe are a reputable brand in France and they appeared sure there had been communication.

When the reports first emerged, it was puzzling from a Celtic point of view. Celtic have excellent quality up front, and adding a Ligue 2 striker didn’t make sense.

Celtic will undoubtedly scout the markets ahead of the summer window but will likely hold off lodging any bids until the league is over.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.