“I’m Sorry…” – Martin O’Neill Issues Stark Jota Warning Despite Training Return

Celtic Jota
3B5M3MB File photo dated 26-04-2025 of Celtic's Jota. Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has backed ?philosophical? winger Jota to come back stronger after being told he faces being out until 2026. Issue date: Friday 2nd May, 2025.

Martin O’Neill has revealed Jota will return to Celtic next week as the winger continues his long recovery from injury.

The Portuguese attacker has been carrying out part of his rehabilitation in his hometown but is now due back with the club on Monday week.

That will allow Celtic’s medical staff to assess his progress more closely, although O’Neill has warned that Jota is still some distance from being available for competitive action.

Speaking to the Daily Record, O’Neill said: “He’s back with us on Monday week. But being back and being fit are two different things. I might be being conservative, it could be Halloween, but we will have a better idea.

“Remember, he’s been doing this work in his hometown, and he’s back here with us on Monday week. So the sooner we get him on the field, the better. He should be out on the grass, yes. I think he is doing a little bit.”

3B5M3MB File photo dated 26-04-2025 of Celtic’s Jota. Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has backed ?philosophical? winger Jota to come back stronger after being told he faces being out until 2026. Issue date: Friday 2nd May, 2025.

Jota has been out since suffering a serious knee injury against Dundee United in April 2025.

His rehabilitation has taken longer than first hoped, and O’Neill is not yet ready to place a firm date on his return.

The Celtic manager knows from personal experience that straight-line running is only one part of the recovery from a cruciate injury.

He added: “Again, out on the grass and doing straight-line running for a cruciate, which I know myself because I did it, is different to doing twists and turns and stuff like this here. But he’s been out a long time, and I think he feels as if it’s doing fine.”

Jota returning to Glasgow is a positive step, but O’Neill is determined not to build his plans around a player who may still be several months away.

The manager has already suggested Halloween as a possible target, although he accepts that recovery times can change once Jota begins more demanding work.

O’Neill said: “Until he’s really nearly fit to play, I’m sorry, you just have to dismiss him in that sense. I can’t keep thinking every single day ‘when is he going to be playing.’ I have already dismissed him until Halloween perhaps.

“But who knows how people come back. I’m sorry, it’s rather cruel but you say you just have to leave it, he’s not involved. I can’t worry about something that might be three months down the line.”

That approach means Celtic will continue preparing for the new season without expecting Jota to be involved in the opening months.

3A8X4YM Celtic’s Jota celebrates scoring their side’s second goal of the game during the William Hill Premiership match at Celtic Park, Glasgow. Picture date: Saturday March 29, 2025.

The winger will need to progress from running into sharper changes of direction, contact work and full team training before he can be considered for selection.

O’Neill has remained in contact with Jota during his recovery and recently spoke to him over video.

He said: “I have, yeah, spoken to him a few times, absolutely. We’ve done a little Zoom call there just last week, about ten days ago or something.”

Jota’s return to Lennoxtown will give Celtic a clearer picture of where he stands, but O’Neill’s message is cautious.

The club want him back on the pitch as soon as possible, but there will be no rush after such a long spell out.