CELTIC will take to the Hampden pitch this December on a day where they could land their TENTH domestic title in a row. The first of the nine they have right now came in the same competition – it was Brendan Rodgers first trophy as the Celtic manager and was the catalyst for the bhoys going on to win an invincible treble.
As we look forward to a meeting with our Glasgow rivals on December 8th we take a look back at the first League Cup final that started this incredible and unprecedented run of trophies.
Celtic took on Aberdeen in the final and beat them 3-0 with goals from Tom Rogic, James Forrest and a penalty from Moussa Dembele.
So how many of that team are still at the club?
Gordon; Lustig, Simunovic, Sviatchenko, Izaguirre; Brown, Armstrong, Roberts, Rogic, Forrest; Dembele
Substitutes: Touré, Bitton, Griffiths, Gamboa, Mackay-Steven, de Vries, McGregor
Just under half of the squad who were in the squad that day are still at Celtic. However, we can dwindle that down to who could play on the day against The Rangers. Fraser Forster will likely be in goal for the bhoys, Jozo is still out injured and will play no part. Elsewhere Bitton will probably have a place on the bench. Scott Brown and James Forrest are 100% starters along with Callum McGregor barring injury. It would depend on who Neil Lennon wants to go with in attacking midfield with Tom Rogic having the potential to start but the Irishman may start Ryan Christie. Griffiths is the wild card and if he can get game time before December is likely to be on the bench.
So for certain, we have three starters for this final who were in the squad back in 2016; Brown, McGregor and Forrest.
Notable opposition players would be Jonny Hayes who played for Aberdeen on the day and might just get some game time for Celtic on the day against The Rangers. The Aberdeen side also had James Maddison who has since gone onto Leicester and is now managed by the former Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers.
- Gordon – Back up to Fraser Forster
- Lustig – Moved to Gent (Contract Expired)
- Simunovic (Injured)
- Sviatchenko – Moved back to Midtjylland (Transfer)
- Izaguirre – Moved back to Motugua (Contract Expired)
- Brown – Still Captain, Stil Broony
- Armstrong – Move to Southampton (Transfer)
- Roberts – Currently at Norwich (Loan Finished)
- Rogic – Still at the club
- Forrest – Still at the club
- Dembele – Moved to Lyon (Transfer)
- Touré – Retired (Leciester Coach)
- Bitton – Still at the club
- Griffiths – Still at the Club
- Gamboa – Moved to VfL Bochum (Contract Expired)
- Mackay-Steven Moved to Aberdeen, now plays for New York City (Transfer)
- de Vries – Retired
- McGregor – Still at the Club