Celtic find themselves in the Europa League group stage for the second season running.
The bhoys picked themselves up after their shock defeat to Cluj and blasted past AIK with a thumping 6-1 aggregate victory. In the Europa League draw the club were in the second pot and were drawn against Lazio, Rennes and Cluj. A very interesting group which will be hotly contested over the next three months.
While the Champions League bounty is gone for another season – fans must remember there is money in this competition. Celtic’s run in Europe already has seen them bag more money than they would get for winning the league (SPFL Prize Money – £3,350,000)
So what exactly can we make in this Europa League, obviously the financial benefit is directly tied into how successful you are and the bhoys will hope for a good run in the competition.
Europa League Prize Money: (As per Europa League Wiki)
- Preliminary round: €220,000
- First qualifying round: €240,000
- Second qualifying round: €260,000
- Third qualifying round: €280,000
- Play-off round elimination: €300,000
- Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
- Group match victory: €570,000
- Group match draw: €190,000
- Group winners: €1,000,000
- Group runners-up: €500,000
- Round of 32: €500,000
- Round of 16: €1,100,000
- Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
- Semi-finals: €2,400,000
- Losing finalist: €4,500,000
- Winners: €8,500,000
The scope is there to make some decent money. Getting €500k for each victory in the competition could prove to be lucrative if the bhoys get going quickly.