There should be no distractions about Glasgow derbies today. Celtic will need to be at their absolute best to take all 3 points away from Dens Park. Celtic already sit eight points clear but Rodgers openly admitted he wanted that figure in double figures for the new year.
Celtic have won their last two games after their 69 unbeaten run came to a halt at Tynecastle. Celtic’s display against Aberdeen on the weekend showed signs of a full recovery after the Tynecastle loss.
On reflection Rodgers said:
“Collectively as a team, we weren’t at our level against Hearts,” said Rodgers. “But, most importantly, after disappointment, you can learn and we’ve now come into the next two games and scored five goals while keeping clean sheets.”
Celtic have found it hard enough to break down Dundee in SPFL games with a string of wins coming by way of single goal winning margin. Dundee, however, has found the tie a lot more difficult over the past number of year.
- Dundee have gone 27 matches without a victory against Celtic in the Scottish Premiership (D5 L22).
- In fact, they have won just one of their 39 league matches against Celtic.
- Celtic are unbeaten in their 18 trips to Dens Park in the Scottish Premiership (W13 D5).
- This will be the second Scottish Premiership meeting between these sides on Boxing Day, with the only previous occasion coming in 2012, a 2-0 Celtic victory at Dens Park.
- Dundee haven’t won on Boxing Day in the Scottish Premiership since 2000, a 3-0 win away at Motherwell; they have lost all three such matches since then.