Celtic B ran out as comprehensive winners today at The Penny Cars Stadium, after sweeping aside Edinburgh University in an impressive 3-0 victory.

Almost immediately after kick-off commenced at 13:00, Celtic found themselves in front.
Excellent pressing from the Celtic frontline enabled the ball to make its way to Rocco Vata, who executed a powerful half volley low into the left-hand corner of the net to give the Hoops an early advantage with just 25 seconds on the clock.

Providing a lively presence for the Celts in the first half, Vata almost scored again after Moffat intercepted a loose pass from the Edinburgh University midfield, laying in the promising Irishman who rounded his marker and forced Jaques Heraghty into a smart stop.

Imposing central defender Dane Murray came close to converting, controlling an Owen Moffat corner before hooking an improvised effort a couple of yards over the bar.

Continuing to be integral to the Celtic attack, 16-year-old Vata snuffed out a poor clearance from the opposition goalkeeper Heraghty. Eventually, he centered a whipped cross for midfielder Ben Wylie who narrowly put wide on the stretch.

In a rare foray forward for Edinburgh University, Hoops goalkeeper Ryan Mullen excellently tipped a long-range strike from outside the area around the post for a corner-kick.

With 23 minutes on the clock, Owen Moffat managed to get himself on the scoresheet. Cutting inside from the left, his initial shot was blocked only to rebound to the Scot who tapped in from close range.

The Celts very nearly had a third goal soon after, as Joey Dawson saw his left-footed effort shoveled unconvincingly by the far post for a corner.

Just before the half-time interval, Moffat and Dawson combined before laying off Vata who shot just wide of the target.

In a less-hectic second half of proceedings, there was still to be some box office drama. Just five minutes in, Edinburgh University man David Maskrey was given a straight red card owing to a nasty late challenge on Matthew Anderson.

Looking to twist the knife following the sending off, Rocco Vata smartly nutmegged his opponent before stinging Jacques Heraghty’s palms from the right-hand side of the box.

Substitute Ben Summers had a couple of half-chances from around 20 yards, however, the best of the action was still to unfold in front of the Celtic supporters who braved the elements in Airdrie.

Northern Ireland Under-21 international Ben Wylie threaded a dinked ball to Owen Moffat, who unleashed a blistering strike into the top right-hand corner on the half volley to round off an excellent showing.

Winding down to a close, Rocco Vata was unlucky not to add a second goal seeing his effort stopped by the keeper, whilst Adam Brooks came close to scoring on the angle before the referee decided to call time on the fixture.

Tommy McIntyre will be delighted with what was a largely one-sided affair at the Penny Cars Stadium this afternoon.

Man of the Match: Owen Moffat

Involved in almost everything good Celtic created going forward, Moffat can be pleased with his own personal exploits after netting his 10th and 11th goals of the season.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.