Just under 100 viewers tuned into Bonnyrigg Roses’ live stream of the opening game of the Lowland League.

After a minutes silence, the referee blew his whistle to commence the game. After maintaining possession for a couple of minutes Celtic gave the ball away which allowed the rose to pass the ball amongst themselves. Ewan Otoo impressed numerous times within the first half, sticking a foot in to take the ball away from a Bonnyrigg attacker. The young defender also headed the ball clear from the countless corners conceded. in the 14th minute, Oluwayemi made a comfortable diving save, in general, the keeper looked confident, he commanded his box well and wasn’t scared to come out to collect a ball.

As the first half ticked on, Bonnyrigg rose looked more threatening, after heading the ball wide, Currie had an attempt that was blocked by Murray.

Lawal took his turn to defend, fending off hunter showing his strength and winning the ball, he then calmly passed it back to Oluwayemi between the sticks.

The 25th minute came with a goal for Bonnyrigg Rose. Currie was at the edge of the box when the ball came to him, he controlled the ball using his chest then struck it on the half volley. The ball passed Oluwayemi and hit the back of the net

At the other end of the pitch 15-year-old Vata had the ball played over the top, after controlling it, he tried to take it around the keeper but a heavy touch took him too wide. He took on the shot but Ally Adams pushed the ball back out the ball was cleared by Horne.

Trying to create an opening, Celtic passed the ball around the middle of the park. Otoo then galloped forward with the ball but ran into red and white hoops so he was forced to pass the ball back. The move then ended when the ball went out for a Rose throw-in deep in their half.

Rose then had a chance to double their lead after a ball was played over the top, but Hunter couldn’t get the right connections and the Colts keeper was left untroubled.

Wylie was then subject of a controversial decision, lest man back he took out a Rose player but was only booked to the fans frustration.

Bonnyrigg Rose 1 – 0 Celtic B

In the 50th minute, two Celtic players were down in need of treatment, Oluwayemi clashed with Paterson. Oluwayemi was forced off and was replaced by Ryan Mullen.

Rose then hit on the break, and a scramble in front of the goal resulted in the Midlothian side doubling their lead. Mullen was unlucky after getting a hand on the original shot but Hunter was ready to pounce. The goal scorer was Hunter.

Celtic then scored their first goal in the Lowland League, new signing Lawal was at the back post when the ball was floated over by Letsosa and stuck it in the net to make it 2-1.

Celtic then replaced injured Murphy with Jackson.

Celtic seemed to have settled into the game in the second half, as a team they were pushing higher up the pitch trying to create more chances.

Paterson then demonstrated some fantastic but his final shot trailed wide of the target leaving Celtic in search of an equaliser.

Davidson then tried to get onto the scoresheet but his shot was also wide.

Due to the shining sun, the players had their second water break of the match.

Ryan Mullen then pulled off a brilliant save from close range to keep Celtic in the game.

Celtic then equalised through Jackson, but the linesman raised his flag and the game remained 2-1 to Bonnyrigg.

After an end to end finish, and a lengthy injury time, The Roses leave with the three points.

Full-Time Bonnyrigg Rose 2 – 1 Celtic B

Bonnyrigg Rose will be challenging for promotion this season, so the B team can be proud of their performance.

Celtic take on East Kilbride next week where the hoops will search for their first win in the Lowland League.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.